Wyggeston House Grade II* Listed Building is of great significance in the city of Leicester and is currently owned by Leicester City Council. The building is believed to be the oldest house in the city (1490) and comprises of three key architectural elements: a timber Tudor hall building, a red brick Victorian extension and an adjoining 4 storey Georgian Building.
Originally owned by local wool merchant Roger Wygston who, along with other members of his family, were great patrons of the city. Roger served as Mayor of the town twice.
With the client wanting to change the existing planning use of the building from a museum into a bar and restaurant the current owners were, understandably, very cautious about understanding the extent and quality of the works taking place.
Walters Architects worked very closely with the Client, Planning Department, Conservation Officers and other associated consultants to deliver a truly spectacular conversion and refurbishment of this historic and cultural significant building. The key to the whole process was identifying and treating the three architectural elements individually (stylistically and with relevant materials) and communicating design intention and minimal intervention via a detailed Design & Access Statement which was supported by lots of informed consultation.
Once the conservation department could see it was the clients intention to do the best for the building they were extremely supportive.
Refurbishment & Change of Use of Listed Building
To Building Control (RIBA Plan of Work Stage 4)
557 m2 GIA
The practice is proud to have worked on such an important building within our hometown and satisfied a difficult brief from a very particular landlord.